The Hatchet Workbook is a complete novel unit with everything you need to teach Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It is filled with unique projects, activities, and resources based on Bloom’s Taxonomy and higher levels of thinking.
Answer key for comprehension questions is included.
This EDITABLE resource is appropriate for grades 5-7 and includes the following activities:
- Workbook template with tabs for organization
- Welcome letter for students
- Sections based on Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Directions on each page
- 15 bell ringer prompts related to Hatchet
- Before You Read activity
- Chapter based comprehension questions and discussion questions
- Answer key included
- Vocabulary charts
- Extended plot structure
- Hatchet novel review flipbook
- Man VS Nature comparison
- Surviving the Wilderness trophies for Brian
- Letter to Brian
- Hatchet task cards
- Surviving the Wilderness project
- Hatchet literary elements focus lesson
- Identifying themes resource
- Figurative language tic-tac-toe
- Hatchet test
- Interviewing Brian activity
- Take a Stand Project (a debate about deforestation)
- Role reversal activity (empathizing and relating to Brian’s scenario)
- 5 minute adventures (develops into a narrative)
- MAJOR PROJECT: Brian’s wilderness: A map activity
This resource is based on Bloom’s Taxonomy– higher level thinking skills!
Your students will master a variety of skills during this unit including:
-Writing for purpose
-Reading beyond the text
-How to remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate, and create based on the text and materials included
-How to follow along with the text and identify themes, figurative language, and literary elements
-How to identify perseverance and patience
-Mastery of vocabulary terms
-Identify and explain the plot structure of the novel
-Create products for a purpose
Please download the preview for more information. The preview provides images of The Hatchet Workbook in action.
Connect with Me
Find me on Snapchat: Superheroteach
If you like this product, please leave feedback!
NOTE: All resources are digital downloads designed to be printed and distributed by the teacher. You will not receive a physical hard copy of the product. This saves in shipping costs and allows teachers the flexibility to assign the materials when convenient for them. Enjoy!