This EDITABLE extended plot structure diagram is designed to work with ANY fiction text (novel, short story, etc.) and help students analyze and understand the deeper meaning of the text! This resource also works well as a study guide and classroom decor.
NOTE: This resource is included in my 9th and 10th grade ELA Resources BUNDLE so if you have already purchased that, there’s no need to purchase this resource! If you’re looking for more resources like this at a discounted price, you might want to look into the bundle!
Teachers, this is my FAVORITE way to help students dig deeper into the plot of a novel or short story. You can use this resource with any piece of literature and it works like a CHARM! I would suggest assigning each page after the different parts of the plot (for example, after the first couple of chapters, assign the exposition piece, then the rising action, etc.)– this prevents the students from becoming overwhelmed with all of the information.
1. Print the appropriate number of copies for the students in your class.
2. Distribute the extended plot structure elements after each section in the novel (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution).
3. Students will need at least 30 minutes to complete each section.
4. After students have completed the novel and each page of the extended plot structure, line them up in order and tape them together (see example below).
5. Fold the pages back and forth like an accordion.
6. Students can store these in their binders or you can display them on your wall as awesome classroom décor.
7. Students can access these as a study guide for a novel quiz, exam, or project.
Complete the resource one page at a time! Once students have completed all pages, staple or tape them together like an accordion foldable! The extended plot structure makes a GREAT study guide!
This resource includes:
-Extended plot structure diagrams for exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution
-Bonus book review material
-Book review rubric
BONUS: I’ve included a supplemental book review and rubric as a project, too!
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW
Connect with Me
SuperHERO Teacher Blog
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Instagram
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Snapchat: Superheroteach
If you like this product, please leave feedback!
NOTE: All resources are digital downloads designed to be printed and distributed by the teacher. You will not receive a physical hard copy of the product. This saves in shipping costs and allows teachers the flexibility to assign the materials when convenient for them. Enjoy!
The SuperHERO Teacher Brittany Wheaton –
“Love this! I plan on using it for literature circles next term and am currently using it for a whole class novel study right now. I love that it is editable, as I have created a version for our specific novel, and I have made it work in my Grade 4 classroom. Thanks!” -Jessica N.
“Absolutely loved this! The graphics were wonderful for the students to see how the plot structure works. So many students are visual learners so this really helped them. Thanks so much!” -Pam S.